Facing a Fitness Fear: Weightlifting + #PropelFit

The following post is sponsored by FitFluential LLC on behalf of Propel. I was compensated and all opinions are 100% my own.

Lately, thanks in part to Propel, I’ve been really pushing myself to face some fitness fears. First, I tackled the sport of standup paddleboarding. Now, I’m focusing on something a little more broad: weightlifting.

Propel Add Flavor Challenge

Yup, picking heavy stuff up and putting it back down frightens me. Just kidding. It’s not the actual act of lifting weights that scares me, it’s the pressure I put on myself once I start. Common thoughts that cross my mind: “I look like such an idiot”, “I have no muscles”, and “This is totally humiliating”.

I know that, in general, people are worried about their own workouts in the gym. No one cares what I’m doing, you know? But it still feels super awkward to walk into a crowded gym and get my swole on. <-I couldn’t resist saying that. I just feel out of place, and that’s a feeling I want to shake. Too bad I’m not a toddler anymore. I tried the whole “close your eyes and no one will see you” thing, but it turns out that’s pretty dangerous in the gym.

photo 3(11)

What better way to tackle your fear than to start facing it head on? That’s exactly what I did. In reality, I went above and beyond because someone actually photographed me doing it. If I can survive that, I can certainly survive lifting alone. I started off my workout with some liquid courage, of course. In addition to providing your body with vitamins and minerals, Propel also inflates your ego. That last fact has not been scientifically proven, but I’m rolling with it.

photo 2(8)

The first day of lifting at my new gym actually went really well. In my head, I just kept picturing myself as the Hulk and I think that worked out okay. I ended up focusing on legs that day, which is always a little more fun for me.

I did squats on the dumbest machine ever invented. Sorry to whoever invented these contraptions, but I hate them. I need freedom.

photo 2(14)

I did some leg presses, because I think they are hilarious. If you can do that without feeling awkward, then you are well on your way to total gym domination.

photo 4(8)

I also did my favorite move: rear leg elevated split squats. Say that ten times fast. I credit these with my inability to walk properly for 48 hours. It was bad. Oh, and this picture is blurry because I’m fast like a ninja.

photo 1(16)

Even though it was just a quick leg workout, I was exhausted. Propel to the rescue. Berry to be exact. <-My favorite. What’s yours?

photo 2(17)

So that’s what I’m working on right now. For the next few weeks, I’m going to consistently lift. I’m not going to worry about my tiny baby muscles or whether or not my results will be “enough” at the end. I’m just going to lift because it’s good for me. Isn’t that reason enough?

Question: Do you ever feel self-conscious in the gym? I try to remember that I’m probably not the only one that feels that way. Help me continue to believe that, y’all.

Comments

I go to an all womens gym. I am able to go to any GoodLife Fitness, but I feel so much more comfortable picking up my baby weights when it’s not around the super jacked men that drop their weights and grunt lol! I haven’t had Propel in a long time, but I feel like I remember really loving the grape flavor??
    Heidi @ Idlehide recently posted..My Surprise UPS PackageMy Profile

That sounds incredible! I’d still find a way to be self-conscious in front of all women, too, I bet. I’m the worst!

I never lift weights in the gym by myself because I feel self-conscious. If I have a trainer or friend with me then I’m game! My dad recently got me the Grape Propel (I tried Propel in the past and hated it), so I was not excited to try it again. But, oh my gosh, it was so good! It’s one of my favorite drinks now.
    Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted..Weekend ConfessionsMy Profile

Yeah, it’s so weird how just the addition of one other person makes me so much more relaxed. Gym buddies are the best.

Great job! I know it can be scary, and yeah, I definitely feel the same. Thankfully I have been able to work out at my work, and at home for my life so far…but I am going to have to join a gym soon….yuck. As weird as it sounds, people often end up staring at my legs because they are “runner legs”, but I always feel self conscious with my arms as they are kinda weedy. You are doing great, keep up the good work :)
    Tina Muir recently posted..Meatless Monday: Summertime SmoothiesMy Profile

EXACTLY! Even though I’ve practiced my form over and over and over, I still feel like someone else will notice little issues! When I doubt anyone is even looking anyway, haha.

YES! Lifting weights in the gym is seriously something I struggle with! I find myself sticking to the same like, three machines each time. I need someone to walk around me and show me how to not look retarded on the actual hardcore machines and then put on my big girl panties and get my sweat on!
    Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Easy Breakfast HashMy Profile

I have absolutely felt self conscious in the gym!! Even when I started Crossfit (which is supposed to be very supportive/team-like), I was NERVOUS. It really wasn’t until I saw someone new lifting that I realized I was PROUD of them for trying something new and working towards a goal, not at all judgmental. I always keep that in the back of my mind and hope that others think the same! Keep at it girl, you’ll feel like an pro in no time! :)
    Sam recently posted..Follow my blog with BloglovinMy Profile

I definitely need to learn to NOT notice other people in the gym. I am such a people watcher that I feel like other people are, too. I am weird, they are normal. Just gotta remember that, haha.

Right now I’m gyming it up to take advantage of the daycare. When Maddux is older, I hope to do everything at home! You are my role model for getting it done in the mornings.

6. Alexis Teevens says

YES!! I hate lifting. I’m so afraid I have bad form, but I don’t really want to ask anyone to help me. And I don’t know what exercises are really worth my time. I also feel like it’s always so packed in the weight lifting area and I don’t want to be in anyone’s way. Which is totally stupid, but it’s an anxiety I’ve had a hard time shaking!

I will say that it’s SO worth it to have someone check your form. I know it’s the most uncomfortable thing on the planet, but it’s life changing. That’s kind of dramatic, but you get my point. :)

If I can do it, you totally can! And I say that knowing full well it’s still hard for me, haha. I don’t know if I’ll ever really get over the awkwardness, but I’m going to fake it til I make it.

I wish we could all wear t-shirts to the gym that said something like “I’m self-conscious, too.” haha I’d rock mine every day.

I feel less self conscious lifting than I do in a group fitness class where I need to follow along iwth an instructor/keep up with everyone. When I am lifting I sort of zone out and not worry about anyone else.
    Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Ventfest 2014My Profile

Good point. I’m terrible at both. Unless one of my jams comes on because then I’m IN THE ZONE. I guess that’s the key. I need to start listening to music when I lift!

I’m super impressed with you for hitting up the weight room. It intimidate the begeezus out of me! And I work at a gym. :p Group classes like Group Power are more my speed. One of these days, I’ll face my fears and have one of the trainers at work show me around the weight room.
    Whitney recently posted..Friday Favorites 6/13My Profile

I’m glad to know that someone employed at a gym feels the same way. It’s like it’s oddly comforting to me, ha. Thanks for sharing that!!