Favorite Beauty Finds + I’m Trying Here

Prior to traveling across the country and letting strangers take my picture, I went shopping for makeup. I feel like when it comes to skincare and beauty items, I was totally lost. I mean, this happened:

eye_cream_thumb.png

Yeah. So, at that point, I was putty in her hands. I basically bought up the daggum store. Luckily, I had been hoarding gift cards from Christmas. Otherwise, we would have had a big problem.

Then, while we were getting our makeup done on set this weekend, I was informed about even more stuff I absolutely must have. Obviously, I got them, too. I’m going through this phase right now where I want to look like a human being. Makeup and skincare probably help more than they hurt, you know?

Anyway, I thought I would spread the word in case y’all were confused about girl stuff, too. (Yes, there are affiliate links in this post, but all of the thoughts and opinions are my own. I seriously appreciate any and all support of Run Pretty.)

favorite beauty finds

Some Stuff That Goes On My Face

1. Bare Minerals “READY” Foundation has been my go-to for a long time, but I was still pleasantly surprised how well it held up during the trip. A few of the times, the makeup girls just left that on me and added a little extra oomph afterwards. I was pretty pleased with myself for using something that actually works. Score.
  2. One of the biggest things the ladies at Sephora talked me into before the trip was Nars Blush in the color that I’d rather not type on the blog. I already get interesting traffic from Google, so I’d better not use that “O” word on here. That would be asking for trouble. But, yeah, I love the color and staying power of this blush.
  3. I’ve used a similar version of these before, but the makeup artists on set swore by the Revlon ColorBurst Balm Stain. My favorite color is Sweetheart, but they have different shades for different folks. It lasted through snacking, sweating, and chatting up a storm. PS: Those were the three things I did the most of during the trip.
  4. The makeup artists held an intervention to discuss my my brow problem. I know they’re too thin, but growing them out scares me. They suggested filling them in until they grew fuller. I’m digging the Laura Mercier Brow Powder Duo, but they like the pencil from that line as well.
  5. Since I knew we’d be really busy, I packed Yes To Cucumbers Facial Towelettes. They were lifesaving. One of the nights we didn’t get home until well past my bedtime and I just wiped down and crashed. I wouldn’t have put in the effort to actually wash my face, so it was nice to be fresh n’ clean regardless.
  6. My friend Aubrie told me to start using black/brown eyeliner instead of black. She is a genius. It’s so much softer looking. I ended up just buying the Sephora Full Action Mascara in a pretty, almost sparkly brown. I feel like it’s way more natural than black. No more raccoon eyes for me.
  7. So, in all honesty, I haven’t actually tried the Olay Regenerist Luminous Dark Circle Correcting Hydraswirl. I was contacted this week by SpeSpeaks, and they asked if I would like to review three of the products from the Regenerist line for the #LuminousGlow campaign. I immediately said yes, because well, that lady at the store said I needed eye cream. How fortuitous, am I right? These products are available at Walmart and are super affordable, which makes this even better. That way, if I like them I can actually keep buying them. I’ll be sure to let y’all know how it works after I’ve used them for a while.

What are your favorite (new or old!) beauty products? I’m really trying to step my game up here!

Comments

1. Sarah alexander says

I love clinique’s moisture surge! It keeps my skin from drying out when I wash it! Plus it doesn’t leave residue or a film. I stick it on every morning under my foundation which is BB cream which I love as also.

Yes!! I used to get that all the time. Thanks for the reminder. So a few people have said BB cream… maybe I should try it.

You and me both, sister. I’m just hoping to learn! I feel like I don’t look very put together most of the time, so that’s what I’m going for now.

ha That’s usually what happens to me. Either get nothing or buy EVERYTHING. I am easily convinced.

Their main tip was “do NOT touch them. ever” and use a powder or pencil to hide the messiness for a while.

Haha, I’m with you on feeling totally lost in this area. I feel like I’m finally catching on to what beauty products work for me. I used to use Bare Minerals when I lived in Arizona and I was sweating all the time. But since moving to Utah where it’s cold and super dry, I switched over to a Revlon liquid foundation. I really like it! I also love Revlon’s ColorStay eyeliner. The rest is a toss up for me! ;)
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..My Sugar Intake Has Been A Tad Ridiculous LatelyMy Profile

I definitely think where you live/the weather affects your makeup purchases. I could NEVER wear liquid when it’s warm here. It just melts off of my face. ha

Thank you so, so much for writing this. I need so much help in this area it’s depressing. And I’m scared of Sephora the way I’d be scared to go to a biker bar alone. VERY interesting about the brown liner thing! And that’s about the zillionth time I’ve heard of someone loving bare minerals, so maybe I’ll have to actually break down and get some. Bottom line: you are a genius. And pretty.
    Kim @ healthy nest recently posted..How do you know what works for you?My Profile

Sephora totally equals biker bar. Intimidating!

No, you are pretty. (Let’s just tell each other that over and over again.)

I am 25 years old and I still have makeup from high school. I don’t even want to know what the Sephora ladies would do if I told them that… it would be major emergency status.

But thanks for the recommendations. Once we get out of debt, I also plan on embracing the whole “looking like a human being” thing.
    Syd @ Through the Thin of It All recently posted..Love is not a FeelingMy Profile

haha They would have a heart attack the way they did when they saw my dry saggy eyes. <-Good imagery right there.

The price thing is a valid point. I couldn’t have gotten any of that stuff without gift cards!

I need all new skin care products. I’m clinging onto my MAC products until their almost gone (read: my blush/bronzer is on it’s last leg – waaaah!), and then really want to “green” my makeup. So, I’m a lost puppy. I think going to Sephora and letting them do the leg-work is what I will do, too. Save me time and effort haha
    char eats greens recently posted..online shoppers anonymousMy Profile

I would love to go green BUT I feel like I’m just figuring it out this way, haha. One day. I’ll be coming to you for the healthy products.

After becoming a mom I can’t remember the last time I even wore makeup so I’m not much help. Although this kind of gets me motivated to try some… but that would require taking the toddler to the store and fighting her to stay in a shopping cart and I’d much rather just avoid that at all costs!
    emma @ be mom strong recently posted..NYC Half and ProCompression Giveaway!My Profile

I just now finally feel like I’m entering back into the world of the living, haha. Yeah, Maddux had a MELT DOWN in Sephora the one time I took him. I think it’s overwhelming for him in there.