Today was a rest day, but I still accomplished some things. I went to work for the last time in 2013, went grocery shopping, went to Starbucks, took Maddux to get his hair cut, and got my hair highlighted. I managed to do it all in my pajamas. My mother thinks that last part makes me a huge loser, but I consider it a rousing success. Well, except for the fact that my child was offered a sucker and I was not.
While I was frying my brain at the beauty parlor, I read an old blog post that I wrote at the beginning of the year. Every January I say I’m not going to make any resolutions. But I do anyway. Every December I say I’m not going to judge myself based on how poorly I accomplished those resolutions. But, you guessed it, I do anyway.
This year was no different. Seriously, I got a real good laugh out of my 2013 goals. I love looking back and realizing how much of a jackass I was at a specific time in my life. I mean, was I really that naive? You’d think that after 25 years, I’d know myself a little better. Nope. Not in the least.
I was going to save this post for January, but let’s be real, I’ll probably end up posting new goals anyway. I’m a creature of habit, and that habit just so happens to be repeating my mistakes. Over and over again.
Let’s see how I did…
Family and Home
- Eat in the dining room together. <- As much as I try to be Susy Homemaker, I am not. Half of the time we all stand around the island and eat while things finish cooking at different times. Gotta work on that.
- Print, organize, and make books with our photos. <-Epic Failure. I don’t know how other moms get this stuff done.
- Say thank you and please more often. <Please forgive me for forgetting to say thank you. There, problem solved.
- Plan our schedules around Maddux’s needs. <-Definitely got this one on lock. We pretty much plan everything around his meals and naps.
- Use our produce before it goes bad. <-I’d like to say yes, but the zucchini in my fridge begs to differ.
- Sort through our things. Donate unused items! <We have a few things we still need to get rid of. Anyone want a huge Oriental rug?
Health and Wellness
- Make mindful food choices. <- If that means eating whatever I think sounds delicious, then yes.
- PR in both the half and 5k. <-Yes and yes. Although barely. I think I’ll blow those times out of the water in 2014.Wishful thinking?
- Run 1,000 miles. <- I didn’t even track them. I’m totally killing these resolutions, huh?
- Increase my flexibility and strength. <- Oh yeah. I made handstands, pull ups, and stretching my… well, you get the point. Look! I accomplished one!
- Remember to use sunscreen. <- Could use improvement. My face powder has it built in, does that count?
- Read 5 books for FUN. <- Ha! I read one novel and a million books for work. Huge fail.
- Volunteer. <- I did work-related things (like running club meets), but I’m embarrassed to admit that I didn’t really accomplish this one at all.
- Try a new fitness class. <- I tried several new classes. I even forked over the dough for some Crossfit action. Second fully accomplished goal.
Eh. 2 out of 14 ain’t bad, right? Oh well. There’s always next year! 😉