I have yet another great guest post for y’all today. Kyra, the Get in Shape Girl, put together 5 reasons why you should take advantage of good weather and get your booty outside. She even shared the perfect workout for vacation or anytime… no equipment required!
Here we are, right smack in the middle of the summer, enjoying some of the nicest weather of the year. For many of us, we don’t get to enjoy the outdoors year ‘round unless you are one of those all-weather peeps who actually like to run in the rain or like to shovel snow (I think you are lying, but fake it ‘til you make it, right?)
Whether you are a year ‘round runner or summer baby like me, you gotta love the freedom to be able to take your workouts outdoors in the summer! If you haven’t ventured outdoors yet, I’m going to give you 5 reasons you absolutely MUST take your workouts outside!!!
- It’s Free!!! Going to your local park, track, beach or even back yard does not cost a penny and you can go anytime! You don’t need any equipment or fancy machines – all you need is your own body weight and the will to work.
- Breaks up the Monotony!!! Have you ever found a spin class you absolutely love but after 8 weeks have to drag yourself to? Have you ever found yourself forcing yourself into the gym for leg day? Take your workouts outdoors to do something different and new, especially if you don’t live in a place that’s warm all year. Take advantage of your time that you can spend outdoors!
- Free Daily Dose of D!!! Scientists recommend exercising outdoors to get your daily dose of vitamin D. Vitamin D helps keep bones strong, minimizes inflammation, and increases neuromuscular and immune function. In English, that means it makes you healthy! Since vitamin D is found in very few foods, you better get outside!
- Gets You Off the Plateau!!! Ever notice that when you start a new program you start seeing results almost immediately? Shocking your system and doing new things will always keep your body guessing so you can get off the plateau. If you have a regular routine of taking a couple of classes a week, doing some yoga and lifting weights, then hitting some bleachers or doing hill sprints will help you make some serious gains!
- You’ll Blast More Calories! When you have to deal with the unexpected and uncontrollable elements of the outdoors you have to work harder. The varied terrain of hills, sand, or steps forces you to use different muscles. The hotter temperatures makes your body work harder to keep cool. And don’t forget wind – mother nature’s resistance!
Now that you are psyched to go exercise outside, you need a workout to do! Here’s a great one for you, and all you need is a park bench!!!
Warm up – Jog 5 minutes
Alternating step ups on bench x 30
Incline Push ups x 15
Mountain climbers x 50
Sit ups x 20
Alternating lateral lunges x 20
Side plank x 30 seconds each side
Squat jumps x 20
Hold low squat x 1 minute
Tricep dips x 20
3 timed 300m sprints, beat yourself every time!
Cool down – Stretch
The Get in Shape Girl