Let’s Be Honest: I Can’t Predict the Future

Happy New Year. ;) I told y’all I was going to start over today, and I totally did. I look slightly less poodle-ish, I didn’t take a fastball to the face, and I limited my French bread consumption. I even changed out of my pajamas today, so hello, I’m winning at life right now. I just put on running tights, but I’m still counting it. You can’t take this moment away from me.

leggings

Okay, so there is a downside to today. My foot hurts like hell. I think I wore my shoelaces too tight on my last long run. Rookie mistake. Am I the only idiot who has ever done that? Apparently, my left foot took it personally. I took Tuesday off hoping that would be a long enough break. I ran yesterday. I should have waited longer. Lesson learned. I’m going to take today and tomorrow off from running in hopes that I’ll be pain free on Saturday for another long run. Crossing my fingers! Tonight Ryne and I became beasts in the gym instead, so there’s that.

scary hair

I’m kidding. Well, I looked kind of like a beast thanks to not brushing my new mane today. Anyway, I did bent over rows, push ups, pull ups, lat raises, tricep push downs, and dumbbell curls. I desperately want to be strong and muscular, but I constantly find myself wimpering while trying to look hardcore with 15 lb dumbbells. I’ll get there. Y’all just wait and see. But, ya know, I’ve said I’ll accomplish things before. We know how that goes.

If last year’s list of unaccomplished “resolutions” is any indication, I think it’s safe to say I don’t do well with long-term goals. I’m pretty sure my brain just doesn’t function that way. I guess I always feel obligated to create a list of random things I want to do in the next 365 days, because it seems like the responsible thing to do. In the end, though, some of them don’t really pan out, my priorities change, or I totally just forget about them after a while. I know it sounds like I’m making excuses for myself, but the truth is that a year is a long time. I am not the same person today that I was on January 2, 2013, and I doubt I’ll be the same person a year from now. Evolution, y’all. It’s a good thing.

I’ve seen other bloggers with really creative takes on setting goals for the new year, and I guess I’m rebelling against traditional resolutions, too. I think, for me, 2014 needs to be more of an experiment than a list of things I’d like to accomplish. Of course, I’d like for certain things to happen in my life, but who am I to say what I’ll need or want 12 months from now?

I have a few things I want to do, like run a marathon, get over my fear of open water swimming, and get back on a bicycle. Reading that over again makes me sound like I’m going to attempt to become an Ironman or something, but I swear those goals are not related. I just want to run longer, not be a wuss in front of my son at the beach, and see if the expression “it’s like riding a bike” has any truth to it. I’m not holding myself to any of those things, though, because none of them define the quality of my life. They are extras, and none of them are anything I’d be willing to sacrifice things for right now. Hey, at least I’m being honest with myself for once. Gotta count for something.

I guess what I’m saying is that my one true goal for this year is to take it one day at a time and be open to new things as they come. I’m going to ditch expectations, test my patience, and grow some balls this year. I’m not making any goals, because I want to leave the year wide open. That might be a total cop-out, but I’m rolling with it.

Here’s to 2014: the year of adventure!

Comments

I usually do that (the benefits of bony witch feet), but for some reason I retied them that day. That’s why I think it probably has something to do with the pain. Hoping that’s all it is!

I would be going crazy with all that unknown-ness. I need to loosen up!

I hope you end up somewhere that you LOVE!

1. Jen says

Hi love your blog :) I’m sorry to hear about your foot!! Last year I thought I had done the same thing – my foot hurt so I figured I had just tied my shoes too tight however I ended up going to doctor to find out that I was on the verge of a stress fracture. Luckily I avoided it by taking some time off and decreasing mileage and Im sure you’re fine but just wanted to put it out there!

OMG, thank you for sharing that! I decided today after another painful run that I’m just going to stop for a while and see what happens. Your comment talked some sense into me. ;)

2. Amanda @Fitforgloryfoundbygrace says

Idk if this is it, but I remember getting that really terrible pain on the upper part of your foot closer to your ankle, and my dad (a runner) taught me to lace the top part of the shoe on the outside instead of criss cross. haha, I don’t know if that makes ANY sense, but I know it’s a thing so you can probably google it! I hope that helps! And I thinking changing into tights DOES count. Those ARE pants, after all ;)
    Amanda @Fitforgloryfoundbygrace recently posted..Get your new blog off to a great start (Hint: we can help!)My Profile

Thanks for the tip! I really am going to Google that tonight. I’m going to take a break from running for a bit, but I’m willing to try anything to keep this from happening again. So frustrating!

No, that’s what I usually do! I hadn’t tied my shoes in SO long before this. So keep doing your thang, girl. haha YES to extremely short-term goals. I can do those. Wake up? DONE.

I agree about feeling more accomplished with smaller chunks at a time. I’m all for telling myself how awesome I am just for getting dinner prepared or something really simple like that. haha :)

I love this! Hope your foot feels better though! :( I think setting more “big picture” goals are much more attainable than a strict list of exact little things. I think you’re much more likely to word towards a big picture goal than something nit picky!
    Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Marriage Is Worth ItMy Profile

AH. Someone else commented about stress fractures as well! What did you do and how long did it take to heal? Heeelp. :)

1. […] Happy Saturday! I know I said I might not check in this weekend, but I’m just going to come right out and admit that I don’t have a lot going on. We’re pretty much ballers and decided to eat egg wraps for dinner and sit on the couch all night. I know. I should stop bragging about all the excitement in my life. Obviously off to a slow start on my year of adventure. […]