(Alternate post titles: “Things I Put On My Face” & “How Not to Apply Your Makeup”)
So, this really isn’t a typical “how-to” post. Honestly, I’m sure feral cats looks more put together than I do on any given day. However, I have gotten ridiculously good at getting ready in the shortest amount of time possible. I laugh at how I used to get ready for a night out in college.
I’d take my shower, lounge around in the towel watching reality TV, paint my toenails, and eat snacks all before I’d ever even think of putting my makeup on or doing my hair. I’d then peel myself off of the couch, make a drink, and start drying my hair. I’d even take breaks while drying my hair to text and make plans. Breaks while drying my hair?! I barely have time to wring it out nowadays. After I dried my hair, I’d pop some hot rollers in, watch some more TV, and start sipping on a new drink. People would start filtering in to the apartment or dorm by now and I’d finally start with my makeup. Actually, half the time one of my girlfriends would do it for me. Between all of us, I’d say we had about fifteen billion shades of eye shadow. Finally, we’d pick the most boobalicious shirts we could find and head on out. Those were the days, am I right?
Now I have maybe ten minutes to take my shower, find something to wear, dry my hair, and slap on some makeup. Life calls. Baby duty calls. Sleep calls. Hair and makeup are no longer my top priorities. I still want to look decent, though, ya know? I’ve paired my routine down the most basic things. I’d have to say that given the fact that I can’t really put forth any real effort, I look somewhat decent most of the time. Okay, fine, I look somewhat decent some of the time.
Anyway, here are the five things I use each and every day:
- Bare Minerals Pressed Powder: I love this because it is so much less messy than the loose powder. It’s also easier to toss in my bag if I don’t really have time to get ready before heading out the door. Random fact: I drop it a lot and the powder hasn’t cracked and exploded everywhere. Seriously a huge plus. Please tell me this has happened to you before, too.
- Bare Minerals Warmth: This stuff is amazing. A tiny bit is all I need to go from ghoul to cool. Yes, I know that was super corny. I can’t control myself. Anyway, I also love that it lasts forever. I’m a cheap ass. I would probably cry if I spilled any.
- Physician’s Formula Blush: I’m pretty sure this one was called Happy or something lame like that. I don’t really care where my blush comes from. I just like a hint of pink on my cheeks to really confirm that I am not, in fact, dead.
- Neutrogena Eye Duo: Again, don’t really care what color this is. I don’t use the green. I literally swipe my finger over the lighter color and rub in on my eyelids. Is that how you should apply eyeshadow? No. But I do it anyway. Remember, the goal here is to save time. Oh, and any light shadow works for me. I’m not picky. It just hides the fact that my eyeballs are sinking into my head.
- Sephora Mascara: I like this mascara, but I’ve used better. Honestly, though, I just keep using things until they run out. No sense wasting, right? The point is, I wear mascara! Even if it’s the only thing I put on, I’ll be damned if I go out without it.
Sometimes my five essential items just don’t do the trick. I have to call for reinforcements. The big guns, if you will. Lip balm and concealer make appearances on days where I’m dehydrated, sick and tired, or PMSing (<- I did not miss that. Ugh. It’s almost enough to make me want to get pregnant again. ALMOST.)
I guess this post wouldn’t be complete without mentioning my skincare routine. I literally just laughed out loud as I typed that. I don’t have a routine, but my skin is actually clearer now than it ever has been. I wash my face at night with a light scrub and slather baby lotion on it. I should patent this process, I know.
And there you have it. A complete breakdown of how beauty like this is created. I’m totally joking. I do love Bare Minerals, though. If you’ve been on the fence about purchasing it, go for it. They have a few different formulations now, too, for all different skin types. Love, love, love. Anyway, I know this wasn’t a super informative post, but that’s how I roll.
What skincare or beauty product can you not live without? I probably won’t buy it, but someone else might. What? I’m just being honest! 😉
Back to work I go. Looking fly, of course, if you can’t tell by the above post. See y’all tomorrow!