The countdown is on! Tomorrow I head to Amelia Island with two of my best friends to run the ZOOMA Florida Half Marathon. It will be my first half post-baby. To say I’m a bit nervous is an understatement. One way for me to fight the nervousness is to make sure that I’m as prepared as possible when it comes to my race day gear! Seriously, there is nothing worse than waking up on race day or getting to the race location and realizing you have forgotten something. I put together a quick list of my Top 8 must-haves when it comes to a long race or long run.
- My iPhone. I may or may not always run with music, but I like having it with me for a few reasons. It’s my race day alarm when I’m out of town, it’s great for taking photos before and after (and sometimes during) a race, and I honestly just feel weird without it. Sad? Probably.
- Fuel. Luckily, I’ve used just about everything and can stomach it all. I never worry too much about what will be provided during a race, because I like it all. However, I always grab a few and throw them in my bag just in case. Sometimes I need something before I run. I’m a hungry hippo.
- Lip Balm. I end up looking like a crack head without it. My lips dry out really easily. Bonus points if it has SPF, which I don’t think that one does. Oops. Oh, and I didn’t list sunscreen, but it’s probably a good idea, too. Just sayin’.
- Garmin. I like numbers. Even if I’m not running for time, I still like to know where I am between markers and how I’m doing. Sometimes it motivates me to pick it up!
- Nike Frees I’ve tried running in other shoes, and I just can’t. I have four pairs so far, and these are the least beat up of all of them. I really need a new pair! I love them. A lot.
- PRO Compression Socks. These socks make recovery so much easier and smoother. I’ve mentioned this before, but they are like a little slice of heaven wrapped around your feet and shins. They’re good. Real good.
- Tiger Tail. This “muscle massager” is like a foam roller on steroids. It hurts so good. Between the Tiger Tail and the compression socks, I end up feeling so much better after a run than I would without them!
- Chickbands. I am honestly obsessed with these bands. They stay in place, look awesome, and make me feel like a pop star when I wear them. I mean, honestly, sparkles are off the chain. You know it’s true.
And there ya have it. My race day essentials. What are your can’t live without items for races or long runs? I’m always looking for new addictions. 🙂