Y’all. Yesterday was a blur. I was up at 2 am with a sick toddler. I was washing my sheets at 5 am. I stayed home with him until 3 pm. Then I headed to work until 8 PM. The only things keeping me going? Caffeine and about a million snacks. I’m really, really glad I chose to randomly make some oat bars last weekend, because it was hard to find time to eat a “real” meal. Instead of me staying on here and complaining for the next twenty minutes, how about I just share the recipe? Yep, sounds like a plan.
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 3/4 cup local honey (for my allergies, yo)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- vanilla & cinnamon to taste
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 cups whole wheat crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup mini white chocolate chips
- Line 11″ x 7″ pan with foil. Go ahead and make room in your freezer for it, too. I didn’t realize how much of a freezer pack rat I am.
- Combine peanut butter, honey, and brown sugar in a large microwave-safe bowl. Heat for about 90 seconds and stir it all up.
- Mix in cinnamon and vanilla to taste. I didn’t record these measurements, because I tend to like more than the average person. Just make it taste good.
- Heat again for 30 seconds if the mixture has set up at all. Stir it up again and try not to eat it as is. It’s like the perfect apple dip, y’all.
- Gently mix in each of these one at a time: oats, cereal, cranberries, and white chocolate chips.
- Press the mixture into your lined pan. Like, really mash it in there good if you don’t want the bars to fall apart. Promise you’ll do that?
- Place the pan in the freezer for an hour or two, until the mixture is almost as hard as a rock. You want to be able to cut it, though.
- Slice into bars. I think mine ended up being about 5.5″ inches long and almost 2″ wide, which was the pretty close to the perfect size.
- Eat them all day. For real.
Today I’m still drinking all the coffee and eating all the bars. Hopefully they will fuel me up for a workout later. Yesterday that was not going to happen. Yes, I am making excuses for myself. Per usual. Speaking of workouts, what do you all have planned for today? I might copy you, because my brain power is low. 😉